Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Gluten Free Wednesday Meal




I am so excited to be finding all of these great new resources out there in Blogger land. I am going to try to get a photo up later of the Gluten Free (GF) meal that I just made for lunch. Nolan must have the camera. It was so yummy...

I just made it up so not sure what to call it. Fish & Brown Rice I guess. I have made it many different ways many times and it is always a hit with everyone. Ella (16 mo.) even loved it today.


Fish & Brown Rice

5 servings of salmon, or and fish will work.
2 c. brown rice
1 c. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained

Cook the salmon in oven according to package directions. I place a small dab of coconut oil in
the pan under each piece of salmon. While salmon is cooking boil rice. I defrost the spinach
in the microwave, but stove top will also work.

While everything is cooking I make a sauce. I usually eyeball it, next time I will measure and
let you know exact amounts.

Salmon Sauce

1/3 c. Ketchup (make sure its GF-no soy sauce added)
3 T. Honey
1 T. Plain yellow mustard

You can test the amounts of each that work best for your preference. You just want to make sure it stays red and is not to sweet from the honey. At the same time staying thicker because of the honey.


This can be served a few ways. For the younger kiddos I mix it all together so they can't sort out and avoid all the "green stuff" Although all three of my girls have eaten this for years with no complaints.

For Nolan and I, I mix only the rice & spinach and top it with a solid piece of salmon. Then I drizzle it with the Salmon Sauce.



***another variation is to use frozen garlic & herb cod and there is no need to make a sauce!!
***a little sprinkle of shredded cheddar is always nice also!!


This is a quick option when I don't have anything planned for dinner. As I always try to have Brown rice, frozen spinach, & frozen salmon on hand. And who doesn't always have ketchup & honey in the pantry?! Total cooking time is prob 25min. depending on thickness of Salmon.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Cortney, You're right, something happened with the large picture. I haven't fixed it yet and won't get to it until later. You don't need to use the picture anyway, just include a text link please.

Linda said...

I got it fixed. I put the codes inside a box so they should be easier to copy and paste. I'd love for you to link up again since I deleted your first link.

Stacey said...

I'm really curious about the sauce. I'll have to try that.